Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Tale of the Genji


I was in one of my favorite bookstores last night, Forbidden Planet on Broadway and 12th, and I picked up a copy of this incredible book/graphic novel. It is the artwork of Yoshitaka Amano. Beautiful watercolors, with incredible loose linework and spectacular colors. After doing some research, I discovered that he had done character design for a lot of the Final Fantasy games. I love coming across artists that I have never heard of and getting inspired. Some others that I have come across lately are; James Jean and Robert Mackenzie. You can see Robert's work in the new graphic novel compilation "Out of Picture". Eleven short stories by the production artists from Blue Sky (creators of Ice Age and Robots). If you know of artists that knock your socks off, please share!

No comments: