Monday, August 21, 2006

Graphic Novels...yes or no?




I am just beginning to enjoy graphic novels. Don't get me wrong, I have always appreciated them. Let's be honest, it takes not only talent, but passion and a whole lot of stamina to create one. I have been drawn to the European graphic novels since I first discovered them about 10 years ago, and lately I have been thinking it might be a lot of fun to do one. But then I realize how much work goes into making one. Luckily the market is changing and more and more publishers are starting to become interested in this genre. They are turning them into big budget films (V is for Vendetta, Sin City), and more importantly, the big chain bookstores are starting to have a place for them in there stores. If I were to do a graphic novel, I think it would be a black and white, film noir type of book. I have posted some drawings I did a few years ago that would be similar to the approach I would take. Inspired by old gangster films from the 40's with my own little twist. I often think that characters take on animal traits, so I make those characters into the animals they resemble. I think that might stem from my interest in native american animal spirits. I am hoping that there will be room on the bookshelves for this kind of work in the near future, because I think it would be a lot of fun to create. To all those who create art in the graphic novel form, keep up the good work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As the official representative of children's librarians everywhere, allow me to beg you BEG YOU to write a good graphic novel for kids. If the success of the Chet Gecko books has taught us anything it's that kids dig noir. Plus the number of GNs for children under the age of 13 are few and far between. Please seriously consider creating one.