Monday, August 18, 2008

Busy Month



I know the month is only half over but I have been busy. On July 31st I had the amazing opportunity to read both Moonpowder and Wolf! Wolf! in the Sculpture Garden of the Museum of Modern Art. Right after the event, I jumped on a plane to Los Angeles to speak at the SCBWI summer conference. I saw lots of old friends and met a bunch of new ones. Had a great time hanging out with, Yuyi Morales, Jim Averbeck, Adam Rex, Dan Santat, Christian Hill, Pat Cummings, Namrata Tripathi (my fabulous editor) and many others.
During the conference I snuck out to go do a reading and sign books at Every Picture Tells A Story. It was a dual show of my art along with the great Greg Hildebrandt. Sort of an odd pairing, but he was a swell guy and we had a great time. A lot of my LA friends were there and that made it extra special.
Highlights of the conference:
-Yuyi Morales's acceptance speach. It was poetic, heartfelt and she received a well deserved standing ovation.
-Trying to scalp drink tickets with Dan Santat. enough said.
-Bruce Coville gave an amazing talk. Go see him speak if you can!
-I really enjoyed doing the portfolio and manuscript reviews.
-Signing books between Adam Rex and Mark Teague. (also a lowlight when my line dwindled and there's seem to be endless. I was like Moses parting the Red Sea.)
-Meeting Dilys Evans and discussing the art of children's books with her. She was very enthusiastic and supportive of my art and gave me some terrific advice that was well camouflaged in a compliment. Thanks Dilys! I will make sure my books have room to breathe!

After the conference I flew home to do a signing at Barnes and Noble in Union Square. It was fun because some folks from my writers group were there, as well as my Dad.
Now, back to work...

5 comments:

Kristi Valiant said...

I wish I could've gone to the SCBWI conference - I would love to hear you speak, John. And if I were there, I'd definitely be in your line with both Moonpowder and Wolf! Wolf! Both of your books are very well done and a joy to study the illustrations.

I'll be seeing Bruce Coville next month at a regional SCBWI conference, and I'm so looking forward to that.

Anonymous said...

I jumped in your line first! I think your line was shorter because you could draw faster than Adam. :) So there.

Christina Forshay said...

Yeah, what Megan said...

And, at least know that Moonpowder was sold out before I got a chance to get one! Yay for you, not so good for me and my signed book collection.

:)

Anonymous said...

Hi John,
We met at the SCBWI conference. I grilled you a bit about your beautiful illustration technique. After many happy years of painting and drawing, I've finally dusted off my wacom tablet, photoshop software, and am working through Deke McClelland's Adobe tutorials. I'm inspired and excited thanks to your work and your great presentations. Thanks!

Alicia Kat Vancil said...

I had to run the borders across the street to get your books because the conference had sold out. Thanx for signing them I think they are both awesome stories.